Davao to send off 2nd rescue team to Tacloban

Subscribe Now November 14, 2013 at 08:52am

ANOTHER batch of rescue team from Davao City will be sent to Tacloban City, bringing more medicines for the Typhoon Yolanda victims and replacing the 55-man rescue team that was earlier deployed.

After the three-day rescue operation, Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said the 55-man rescue team will return to Davao today, November 14, as he will be sending off more medical specialists bringing additional medical supplies intended for the survivors of the super typhoon.

Yolanda (international codename: Haiyan), one of the strongest storms to hit land, ripped the Visayas and killed thousands of people last Nov. 8.

Duterte said new group of rescuers from the Central 911 will be with young doctors and nurses, who showed deep interest of going to Tacloban City and help the victims.

Duterte said more medicines like antibiotics, anti-tetanus, and medication for pneumonia will be sent.

He said the City Government of Davao will also send buses to ferry the 55-man rescue team presently operating in Tacloban City back to Davao City.

A total of 230 personnel from the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) from Davao region have been sent to Leyte provinces to help in the security and order in the typhoon-hit areas.

The AFP Eastern Mindanao Command is deploying 100 soldiers for Leyte. The soldiers are from the 4th Infantry Division and will help in the security and search and rescue efforts in the affected areas.

Earlier, the Police Regional Office sent 130 police personnel to Leyte Monday evening.

Police regional director Wency Pascual said one company from the Regional Safety Battalion travelled onboard three buses enroute to Leyte, where they will provide security and order in the area.

The deployment came on the heels of Duterte's call for a declaration of a state of emergency in Tacloban City due to widespread looting. He said the absence of a local government in Tacloban is clearly evident, thus, the looting.

Duterte flew to Tacloban and his birthplace, Maasin town in Leyte, Monday to deliver the P8-million financial assistance. The P3 million of which was given to Southern Leyte, P2 million to Tacloban and P3 million to Leyte province.

Asked to describe the extent of devastation in Tacloban City, Mayor Duterte declared that "God was not in the Philippines when super typhoon Yolanda ravaged Visayas last week".

Duterte said the dead are all over the place, while the living are almost hopeless. And with no local government functioning, Duterte said it's appropriate for the declaration of a state of emergency there.

The City Government of Davao sent a 55-man rescue team to Visayas to help in the search and rescue of typhoon victims. The rescue team arrived in Tacloban City Sunday afternoon.

The team from Davao City also brought with them rescue equipment and medical supplies, as well as food and water.

Duterte, meanwhile, appealed to all Dabawenyos to do their share in helping the typhoon victims in Visayas. He urged them to donate whatever spare medicines, food, water, and clothing they have.

In its 10 p.m., November 13 bulletin, the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Center said 2,344 individuals were reported dead, 3,804 people were injured, while 79 remain missing.

Source: sunstar.com.ph



« Local airline eyes city for expansion Give all smuggled rice to Yolanda victims, government told »