Davao City gov't nabs 2364 garbage violators

Subscribe Now May 07, 2012 at 07:57pm

The Davao City government here has arrested at least 2,364 violators, most of them are now facing charges before local court, barely nine months since the "No segregation, No collection" policy was implemented by the City Environment and Natural Resources Office (Cenro) to address the problems on solid waste. Lawyer Joseph Felizarta, chief of Cenro Davao, said of the total violators, 480 people were still facing charges before the Regional Trial Court (RTC 11) for violating the Republic Act 9003, otherwise known as the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2000.

He also said 40 people, who have been convicted by the court while 899 violators had been already cleared of the charges.

Felizarta said those convicted have been fined by the court for not less than P3,000 on top of the fines they have to pay to the city.

He said the number of violators arrested was not a clear parameter on the effectivity of the city's policy on proper waste disposal.

Instead, he said, the significant decrease of garbage collected per day was the prime point of measurement in assessing the effectiveness of the policy.

"As you can see, the volume of garbage being collected in the whole city per day has significantly decreased. We do not only focus on the violators apprehended," Felizarta said.

He said that from the usual daily average of 500 tons of garbage collected across the city the whole day, it decreased to only 400 tons per day after the policy was implemented in July.

Felizarta said the 100 tons decrease was already a clear indication that the policy has attained its purpose.

Source: zambotimes.com



« Davao City traffic project showcases Pinoy ingenuity Davao City to complete drainage projects in 2012 »