Checkpoints up around Davao City, but residents told not to worry
Subscribe Now June 29, 2014 at 10:34am
The checkpoints are manned by Task Force Davao personnel who inspect vehicles entering the city for weapons, ammunition and explosives.
According to Task Force Davao commander Col. Alberto Macairog, authorities are on alert for possible retaliatory attacks by unspecified terror groups.
According to GMA News sources, an attempt to capture suspected master bombmaker Abdul Basit Usman, who is said to have ties to the Abu Sayaff and international terrorist group Jemaah Islamiya, could be a motive for an attack on Davao and other cities in Mindanao.
Usman is also believed to be teaching members of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters to make improvised explosive devices.
PNP: No need to worry
Meanwhile, Philippine National Police spokesman Chief Supt. Reuben Sindac assured the public that they are on top of the situation.
“Para sa ating mga kababayan sa Davao wala po silang dapat ikabahala. We assure (you) that the men on the ground – ang mga kapulisan at kasundaluhan – ay may idea na kung ano ito (ang banta) at kanilang inaaddress sa ngayon,” Sindac said.
Davao City had been placed on heightened alert after President Benigno Aquino III called up Davao City Mayor Duterte to warn him of a supposed security threat.
According to an earlier report, public events have not been cancelled in the city despite the heightened security.
Authorities have repeatedly said they are not taking the threat lightly and are ready to launch countermeasures against any attack.
In the meantime, intelligence assets have been deployed across Mindanao to verify the supposed threat and to find out which group may be planning an attack.
« Canada backs Davao del Norte's Boracay of the South Davao mayor, governor take charge of regional bodies »