Another NPA leader surrenders in Mindanao
Subscribe Now July 11, 2013 at 11:30am
Major General Ricardo Rainier Cruz, Eastern Mindanao Command chief, identified the NPA who surrendered as Ruben Narciso, front secretary of Main Regional Guerilla Unit operating in Compostela Valley.
Ruben yielded his firearm, an M-16 Armalite rifle to authorities.
Cruz said Narciso joined the NPA, the armed-wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines, in 1997 and started as a member of Samahang Yunit Pampropaganda; team leader of medical staff; political instructor of Pulang Bagani Command until he became front secretary in 2012.
Narciso claimed that he was convinced to join the NPA after he was promised with monetary support and alleviation from poverty. He said he decided to surrender because aside from the broken promises, his party wife, Charjelyn Casquijo alias Jelean, also a front secretary whom she married in 2002, was sexually abused by his own comrades.
The surrender of Narciso was made possible through the efforts of the 10th ID Peace and Development teams under Major General Ariel Bernardo, the 10TH ID commander.
Cruz urged NPA rebels to return to the folds of the law and avail the government’s Comprehensive Local Integration Program wherein rebels who surrendered are provided with livelihood assistance.
“Please take advantage of the government's integration program that will provide you an opportunity to return back to your families and communities,” Cruz appealed to other NPA rebels.
“More than 40 years of armed struggle did not solve our economic problems rather it has caused more problems to our society, including the senseless deaths and miseries of thousands of Filipinos and the destruction of the future of many Filipino youth who joined the underground movement,” Cruz said.
He said some 123 NPA rebels from Davao region had already surrendered from January to July this year.
« P1.3 million atsuete exported to Vietnam Businesswoman kidnapped in Quezon City rescued in Davao City »