Curfew, liquor ban remain in effect in Davao City
Subscribe Now January 04, 2021 at 12:52pm
“It does not mean that because this is a New Year, the COVID-19 (pandemic) is over. COVID-19 is still around, so we continue our COVID-19 response,” Duterte said in a New Year’s Day message over the Davao City Disaster Radio.
She issued Executive Order No. 70 on New Year’s Eve, which extended for another six months Executive Order No. 56, which calls for the adoption of alternative work arrangements in public and private workplaces to help curb the spread of the virus in the city.
EO 56, issued on Oct. 26 last year, was supposed to lapse on Dec. 31, 2020.
“It becomes necessary to extend Executive Order No. 56 s. 2020 to prevent close contact [among] employees [who will be reporting for work] and to decongest public utility vehicles of passengers and lessen the risk of transmission,” Duterte said.
Earlier, the mayor said the city expected a surge of COVID-19 cases in the first month of the year as some people held parties and gatherings to celebrate the holidays despite stern government warnings to limit these events to household members only.
The new executive order cited the need to control the number of infections because of the full occupancy of beds for patients in Southern Philippines Medical Center and the temporary treatment and monitoring facilities.
Alternative work schemes include maintaining skeletal workforce in offices and factories, work-from-home arrangement, and the adoption of staggered work hours among employees.
Health authorities has traced clusters of COVID-19 cases from work areas to households after the reopening of businesses last year.
Duterte warned government employees that the alternative work hours could not be used as reason for delayed public service. “The hours at home will be counted as worked hours, provided that they can deliver their tasks correct and complete,” she said.
The mayor issued another order extending the 9 p.m. to 4 a.m. curfew hours and the 24-hour liquor ban in the city up to the end of this month.
She reintroduced the curfew hours after the city reverted to general community quarantine (GCQ) status on Nov. 20, 2020 due to the continued rise in COVID-19 cases. The GCQ has been extended up to the end of this month.
Duterte reimposed the liquor ban following a spike in virus cases that had threatened to overwhelm the region’s health centers and alarmed medical practitioners.
She reminded restaurants, sari-sari stores and similar establishments of the standing “one-strike rule,” which meant that their establishments could face immediate closure once caught violating the liquor ban.
« DTI-Davao Occidental attains high disbursement rating DCPO: Holidays in Davao City generally peaceful »