33 houses buried in Davao landslide
Subscribe Now February 18, 2013 at 09:21pm
No one was hurt as the residents were able to flee as the hilly portion of the village collapsed amid a heavy rain around 2:30 p.m. yesterday, Sanchez said.
At least 156 families were evacuated and are now staying at a village hall and provincial officials have sent relief goods for the affected families, according to Mayor Nestor Alcoran.
The mayor said experts from the Mines and Geo-sciences Bureau of the government's Department of Environment and Natural Resources have been sent to the area to conduct assessment as to the risk of more landslides.
He suspected a wide crack caused by torrential rains during last year's Typhoon Bopha at the upper portion of the village might have collapsed, causing the landslide.
Headlines ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1
The mineral-rich southern Philippines region has been a scene of deadly landslides due to the presence of communities in steep villages.
A landslide at a mining village in nearby Compostela Valley province killed at least 40 people.
« PAGASA tracks new LPA off Mindanao Davao suspends classes up to high school due to TD Crising »