Davao, generally peaceful in 2010

Subscribe Now January 01, 2011 at 02:50am

Deputy Commander Lt. Col. Eriel Niembra of the Task Force Davao said the city was generally peaceful in year 2010 in terms of terrorism incidents. Compared to previous years, TFD saw a downtrend in terrorism attacks nationwide coming from the foreign terrorists and local extremists this year, Niembra reported to the local media during yesterday’s year-end briefing at the Philippine Information Agency.

The TFD official claimed that the task force has recorded only 19 bombing incidents this year in regions 11 and 12, compared to last year’s 27.

According to Niembra, for the past seven years since TFD was created in 2003, there were a total of 300 terrorist attacks in said regions.

He said the major attack was the February 14 incident or the Valentine Day bombing at the Ecoland Bus Terminal in Davao City in 2005 which claimed the life of a 12-year old boy, and seven others in separate incidents on the same day in General Santos City and Makati City.

Niembra said they are still intensifying their watch for terrorism until the last remaining days of the year, reminding the Rizal Day bombing in Manila which happened on December 30, 2000 and killed 22 people.

"Task Force Davao is serving all the terror threats for seven years and it successfully shielded the city against incidents from neighboring cities," he said.

According to Niembra, there were also two recoveries of Intensive Explosive Device (IED) this year, one at city hall and another at Central Bank. But he said “the intention was not to kill, not to harm. The only purpose was to intimidate the public.”

"Bombing incidents in 2010 decreased because of peacetalks and in 2011 peace negotiation and resolution efforts will be intensified," Niembra stressed.

Meanwhile, spokesperson Lt. Col. Medel Aguilar of the 10th Infantry Division also claimed a nationwide downtrend in the strength of the Communist Party of the Philippines- New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) and their supporters.

Aguilar reported that there were more than 180 rebel surrenderees recorded this year in the region to include not only regular NPA members, but also supporters from other “illegal groups.”

He claimed this number would be reduced from the 883 strength of the NPA.

He attributed the decreasing numbers of NPA personalities and supporters to the Army’s thrust on community works, saying that it’s a strategy that brings people closer to the government, “instead of making enemies.”

The community work program, Aguilar explained, is people-centered which caters to the needs of the people. He said people would deviate from supporting the insurgency “by taking care of the community and providing their needs.”

“We hope to sustain the community efforts in 2011 to convince many misguided people to come back in the folds of the government,” Aguilar said.

Source: pia.gov.ph



« Aboitiz Power to expand output in 2011 2 killed, 3 missing in Mindanao »