PNoy to push through with Mindanao visit despite bombings
Subscribe Now August 08, 2013 at 04:15pm
"He [Aquino] is expected to go to Davao tomorrow," presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said at a press briefing.
Aquino will deliver a speech at the 22nd Mindanao Business Conference in Davao City on Thursday morning.
On Wednesday, explosions hit Mindanao. At about 3:30 a.m., a blast rocked Midsayap town in North Cotabato, but no one was reported hurt in the incident. Hours later, another explosive device went off in Maguindanao, hurting seven soldiers.
On August 5, an explosion killed eight people and injured 32 others in Cotabato City. On July 26, a blast in Cagayan de Oro killed eight.
Lacierda, however, said they have not received any threats on their end. "I have not received any word on anything."
He likewise said Aquino's trip would mean it's "business as usual" in Mindanao.
"Tuloy po ‘yung meeting bukas with the Davao businessmen. So pag-uusapan po doon ‘yung about the situation in Davao in his meeting with the business people there in Mindanao. So there’s no contrary notice given so far, so tuloy po ‘yung lakad po bukas," he said, adding they don't expect these blasts to affect the country's economy.
But he said the President makes sure that he is always updated with whatever is happening all over the country.
Meanwhile, the Presidential Security Group (PSG) said it will be more vigilant during President Aquino III's trip to Davao.
"[We'll] mostly [be] behind the scene. We are going to be extra vigilant," PSG commander Brigadier General Ramon Mateo Dizon told reporters in a text message.
And although saying they don't want to cause any panic, Dizon said he has already instructed his men "to take extra precautions in all presidential engagements."
« Backpacks prohibited during the 'Kadayawan' festival CTO assures no cancellation yet of Kadayawan '13 events »