Davao businessmen protest 'ukay-ukay' stalls
Subscribe Now April 18, 2012 at 09:44pm
Owners of various business establishments along M. Roxas Avenue here have sought the assistance of the city's legislative department to stop the "ukay-ukay" at the night market set up by the city government late last year. In a letter addressed to Vice Mayor Rodrigo Duterte last March 30, owners of seven establishments have petitioned to have the ukay-ukay removed permanently.
Among the establishments are the Chicco di Caffe, Associated Labor Union, Quattro Tactical Source Inc., Sotil Inn, and Caution Bar.
The group pointed out the operation of the ukay-ukay market must immediately be terminated because it affects the cleanliness and sanitation in their area.
"Special permit granted by the City Council for the said business activity has already expired, thus making their continued operation illegal," the group said.
The ukay-ukay operates from 6 p.m. until 2 a.m. the following day.
The group echoed the continued operation of the ukay-ukay market will hamper and endanger the operation of legitimate business establishments.
The program was first launched by the city for a month during the Pasko Fiesta celebration in 2011.
But after the special permit has lapsed, the City Council issued a one-month extension for the project.
Mayor Sara Z. Duterte-Carpio said she gave her approval because the project might boost the city's coffers and help small businessmen.
« Mindanaoans are not brats 78 Chinese nabbed in financial scam »