No council decision yet on coal-fired plant: official

Subscribe Now April 28, 2011 at 09:50am

DAVAO City Councilor Pilar Braga on Wednesday said the Davao City Council has no final decision yet on the proposed 300-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant by the Abiotiz group. Braga was reacting to speculations that City Council members have already decided on the P25-million power plant being proposed in Binugao, Toril.

"Wala pa mi naka-decide so far ug of course, wala pa naluto ang sa Aboitiz (We still haven't come up with a decision yet)," Braga told Sun.Star Davao.

A third committee hearing has already been scheduled, she said.

Braga said councilors had several inputs during the first two hearings conducted several few weeks ago.

Davao City Vice Mayor Rodrigo R. Duterte earlier expressed his approval to the project citing its benefits to the city in terms of energy sufficiency.

Duterte reminded Aboitiz that the environment and the health of the citizens in the city should also be protected by ensuring that state-of-the-art facilities are installed in the plant.

Davao City Mayor Sara Z. Duterte, on the other hand, leaves the matter to the City Council to decide, although she acknowledged that there are no other viable sources of energy to suffice the energy supply of the city and its neighboring cities.

Source: sunstar.com.ph



« Holy Week in Davao peaceful: police 10 Mindanao firms invited to seafood expo in Belgium »