Davao offers resettlement to Japan disaster victims

Subscribe Now April 08, 2011 at 08:03am

Vice Mayor Rodrigo Duterte says he would welcome even the entire population of earthquake-devastated areas in Japan if they want to come and temporarily settle here. Duterte disclosed in a statement issued earlier this week that at least 20 elderly Japanese were due to arrive in Davao and live in the city temporarily while their villages back home were being rehabilitated following the great earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan last month.

Duterte said he came to knew of the plan of some Japanese nationals to seek refuge in the city—referred to as "Little Tokyo" before World War II because of the large number of Japanese settlers—from a Japanese friend. He said the initial batch of 20 retirees were due anytime.

"The best that we can do is to help them, after all Filipinos are treated very well in their country. We look forward with hope for the Japanese people," he said.

Duterte said the city government will make sure the visitors will be treated well.

"I don't mind how many of them will be coming over, as long as they behave well while they are in Davao. They can even be as many as thousands," he said.

Source: inquirer.net



« Social pension fund launched in ComVal Davao’s Best Restaurants »